Thursday, April 15, 2010

Chew on That

Trying to eat clean, healthy food has made me realize something I think I have known all along: I don’t like breakfast. It’s not that I dislike eating in the morning. Nothing gets me going like a nice savory meal shortly after I get out of bed. But the thought of cereal is almost repulsive to me. And pancakes? Fughettaboutit. A hot bowl of oatmeal has always left me yearning for something else. I could never figure out what was missing, but then it dawned on me. My mouth was missing the wonderful flavors of my beloved garlic, dash of sea salt, olive oil, fresh basil, and onion. As a person who is attempting to improve my health, I have to be mindful of the things I put into my mouth. Long gone are the days where a slice or two (or three) of pizza was the way I started my day. I am forced to eat with purpose now. My body requires a certain number of nutrients to function properly and I have to find a way to fit that all into my calorie budget. But does that mean a lifetime of cold cereal and milk? Or even eggs and toast? I had an epiphany this morning while choking down oatmeal with peanut butter for the 5000th day in a row. It’s okay if the food you eat is actually enjoyable. Yes, the ultimate purpose of food is to fuel our bodies, but isn’t it possible for it to taste good at the same time? Is there really anything wrong with a bison burger on a whole wheat bun for breakfast? Why does all that iron-laden goodness have to be reserved for the later part of the day? I think breakfast has been getting the short end of the stick for far too long now. From this day forward, I am swearing off oatmeal for breakfast. Life is too short to consume things that don’t tickle my taste buds. From this day forward, I pledge never to sit in front of a bowl of cold cereal when a good steak is really what I am craving. Tomorrow, I plan to roast some asparagus in the morning and have it alongside a piece of grilled chicken. And the day after, I might even have a baked sweet potato. I vow to eat only what I enjoy, and to thoroughly enjoy what I eat. So, there.

No comments:

Post a Comment