Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Pounds For Chemo

Well, today is the big day. I have decided to embark on a twelve week challenge with some lovely ladies I met over the course of the past year. A challenge of what, you ask? Losing weight, of course! What else could an over weight woman such as myself possibly compete in? The challenge is fairly informal. We are simply a group of women competing to see who can make the most impressive transformation in her physique over the course of 12 weeks. At the end of the challenge, the winner is chosen by vote from a group of fellow clean eaters. That winner not only gets bragging rights, but also has the pleasure of selecting a charity to which the “losers” must each donate $20. The charity I have chosen is St. Jude. I admire the fact that they never turn a child away from cancer treatment, regardless of a family’s inability to cover the expenses. I could not think of a more deserving cause to donate to, and I am really hoping I can pull through for those babies. On the side, I have also been able to convince a few co workers to pledge money for each pound that I lose. The highest pledge so far is $5 per pound. When I say that out loud, it makes me feel like an expensive piece of poultry.
My day so far has gone as well as anyone could expect from a woman who has never been fit in her life. I packed too little food, drudged through my 30 minute elliptical workout, and I am now suffering from a hypoglycemia-induced headache. People will always say:” You didn’t put the weight on overnight, so you can’t possibly expect it to come off that quickly.” And I get that. I am not looking to lose 10 pounds in 48 hours by eating cookies and drinking laxative juice. I want to eat well, work out, and enjoy the challenge. But it isn’t so enjoyable to me right now as I sit here waiting for Advil to kick in. Perhaps I was a little overzealous in the gym. It’s difficult not to be. I am terrified of failing. I have to report my weight and measurements weekly, and I am sure a week without a change will probably devastate me to the point of quitting.
To anyone reading this blog (and I am pretty sure no one is, but just in case), feel free to join my cause. I will report the changes in my weight and measurements regularly. At the end of these 12 weeks, you can make a donation based on the amount per pound that you pledge. A fellow contestant gave me some information on the American Cancer Society that I was not aware of previously, so I am asking that you make a choice between the two organizations. Of course, I am still pulling for St. Jude, but the American Cancer Society’s contribution to cancer research is pretty darned impressive, so I can’t leave them out. When the time comes, I will post the addresses to which you can mail checks, as well as the websites that you can visit to make your donations via credit or debit card. Until then, I am out of here. Never eat chili from a vending machine. The gastrointestinal effects can be extremely unpleasant. Oh, well. You have to make mistakes in order to learn from them, right? Tune in next time for more tips on how not to be successful in a 12 week challenge.

No comments:

Post a Comment